Here East
BASc in London University
LIS student accommodation partner
East London university campus LIS student accommodation partner
Students at UK university.


Read our most up-to-date information for international and EU students interested in studying at LIS.

Read our most up-to-date information for international and EU students interested in studying at LIS.

Guidance on applying to LIS

If you are an international student please read the following guidance which we have prepared to try to help you in your decision about whether or not to apply for LIS. It’s really important to state that everyone is an individual and your specific position might be different.

LIS students chatting

With this in mind, we recommend three things:

Keep an eye on government advice

We recommend that you read around and research the topic as the guidelines on this page may not cover every instance.

The best sources of information we recommend are: (a) The government’s own website; (b) the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA)

Guidance may differ for other providers

Different universities and providers may have different guidelines. Please take the time to read through these carefully.

Any questions, please do get in touch with us

If you want to get in touch and feel that the guidelines below do not cover your case, then we will do our best to give advice. You can email us at

We are able to accept international students

We hold a probationary sponsorship licence which allows us to accept international students as part of the undergraduate and master’s cohorts.

To get a visa, you will need to meet all the relevant visa requirements set out by the government.

Settled and pre-settled status
Plus Icon

If you have settled status through the EU settlement scheme you will be eligible to be admitted to LIS. There are many rules and exceptions around being “settled”. You can read more about these on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

In brief, being settled means both normally living in the UK and not having any immigration restriction on the length of your stay in the UK.

If you have pre-settled status through the EU settlement scheme you will be eligible to be admitted to LIS. You may, however, be in a different position regarding access to student loans. Please see the student finance section for more details.

Will I have to pay "international" or "home" fees?
Plus Icon

This is a complex area. A good source of current guidance can be found here.

Student Finance: Home & EU students

“Home” (UK) Students

The question of whether you are able to apply for student support is different from the question of whether or not you are eligible to study at LIS.

LIS is an officially- registered provider. If you meet the Student Loans Company eligibility criteria, you will be able to access tuition fee and maintenance loans.

Full details can be found at the Student Finance England website.

There are complex rules and exceptions around student support. An excellent website which sets out the key information is UKCISA.

"Settled" Students

If you had settled or pre-settled status before 31 December 2020, you are likely eligible to apply to LIS. Please see the student support criteria for details.

Should you be eligible to study at LIS but not eligible for student support, you can pay student fees directly to LIS.

If you have any questions, we encourage you to get in touch with us at

Student Support Criteria:

  • You must be settled in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of the course; and
  • On the first day of the first academic year of the course you must be ordinarily resident in England; and
  • You must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK and Islands for the full three-year period before the first day of the first academic year of the course;
  • The main purpose for your residence in the UK and Islands must not have been to receive full-time education during any part of the three-year period.


Please note that all international students should submit their application by 5pm Wednesday 29th June in order to be considered for the 2022 cohort. Whilst you are able to submit an application after this date, it is highly unlikely that you will secure a visa in time to enrol on the programme this year.

As such, we strongly encourage you to submit your application ahead of Wednesday 29th June. If you are unable to meet this deadline but would still like to apply to LIS, please get in touch with us as soon as possible.

“Why do I need to submit by the 29th?”

Applying for a visa is a lengthy process which, according to Home Office rules, includes providing evidence of: (i) your financial ability to fund yourself; (ii) your current level of English.

You can read the complete rules on the government website.

Prior to getting a visa, LIS must view the required evidence in order to issue a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies or CAS. After receiving a CAS, you can order a visa appointment.

Please note that the premium service for fast visas is currently suspended and there are longer than usual waiting times for visa confirmations.

If you submit your application Wednesday 29th June we estimate that you will have a reasonable chance of getting a visa for the start of term. After this date, we consider the chance of getting a timely visa to be very small and are unlikely to issue a Certificate of Acceptance of Studies (CAS).

It is important to note that none of the advice above should be taken as legal advice. It is intended to act as a short guide for students who are interested in studying at LIS and has no broader aim.



Newsletter Sign-up

Take the lead.
Join the

Stay connected.

Undergraduate (BASc): apply now
Graduate (MASc): apply now